Friday, October 16, 2009

Quicken 2010: Intuit still making buggy software

Quicken sent a promo today to current owners of Quicken Rental Property Manager 2010 (which is essentially the same as normal Quicken with a few added features). I have a need/hate relationship with Quicken -- there is no love involved -- that I've blogged about in the past.

Since I've griped about problems with their software, I wanted to give their latest software a fair shake, and of course I had to pay $129 for the privilege. But the installation failed citing an Exit Code 1721. There is a button on the Install Wizard failure notification for "Online Help" but it only opens a browser to the Quicken homepage. Searching the Quicken website for exit code 1721 leaves no results.

Apparently Quicken doesn't play nice with Vista User Access Control. Even as an Administrator I can't uninstall the old version, or now, the new one. Quicken does provide a utility that cleans up the registry, but it doesn't delete the install directory. And, again even with Admin rights, neither can I.

So now can I not install the new version, I can't reinstall the old version, and I'm out $129 bucks.

Intuit doesn't offer live chat support for this product, so I've open up a ticket via email. They promise a response within one business day. Quicken, why do you suck so bad?

1 comment:

Steve Bywater said...

Update: Quicken chat support helped me solve this issue.